10/2/08

Debate reactions thread

I'm not sure what to think. Palin didn't fuck up, so I'm pretty sure that the talking heads will count that as a victory. On the other hand, I think Biden exuded competence and had the advantage on most of the issues. Also, I thought his answer near the end, where Biden talked about losing his wife and daughter and then nearly broke down it talking about Palin's child, was the most emotionally resonant moment of the night. I know I had trouble holding back tears.

On the whole, I'd say that the debate was a complete surprise. We all expected Palin to tank and she didn't. On the other hand, I don't think anyone expected that impressive a performance from Biden.

...if I had to guess, I'd say that McCain-Palin will see a bounce. She did well enough to reassure voters who were looking for an excuse to vote against Obama.

...I just want to add something about that moment where Biden almost lost it. That really resonates with me, because every now and then I get into situations where I have to talk about my niece (who died suddenly several years ago) and I almost always confront a moment where I very nearly lose it. In those moments, I very rarely trust the person I'm talking to enough to be comfortable talking about my feelings, and...well...I can't really articulate it, but I felt a very close connection to Biden.

...adding, I don't know that I'm ever objective, but I'm certainly incapable of objectivity after that answer. Intellectually, I know that most people experience loss in their lives. Non-intellectually, I don't see how anyone who has experienced loss can have gotten past that moment without a reaction like mine.

...I mean, it's an hour later, and I'm still coping with the emotions that brought up. I don't think you can underestimate the impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker