4/28/09

Boom goes the dynamite

Specter switching parties.

Why? What changed? The obvious narrative is that Specter lost support of the death cult and was likely to lose to a primary challenger. On that story, this is all about holding on to the seat. And, based on what he said, the obvious story is true:
I take on this complicated run for re-election because I am deeply concerned about the future of our country and I believe I have a significant contribution to make on many of the key issues of the day, especially medical research. NIH funding has saved or lengthened thousands of lives, including mine, and much more needs to be done. And my seniority is very important to continue to bring important projects vital to Pennsylvania's economy.

I am taking this action now because there are fewer than thirteen months to the 2010 Pennsylvania Primary and there is much to be done in preparation for that election.|Specter|


And with regard to the issues we care about in these here parts:
My change in party affiliation does not mean that I will be a party-line voter any more for the Democrats that I have been for the Republicans. Unlike Senator Jeffords' switch which changed party control, I will not be an automatic 60th vote for cloture. For example, my position on Employees Free Choice (Card Check) will not change. |Specter|

No comments:

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker