2/6/06

Monday ignorance blogging

One of Ann Arbor's quaint features, apparently, is that local atmospheric conditions cause radio station frequencies to cycle every half hour or so. Or maybe it's the unconventional geometry of my apartment. Either way, listening to NPR has become a bit of a chore since the radio will, without warning, spontaneously begin to transmit college pop, sports talk, or static.

Throw in the fact that I still don't have regular access to the internet and that certain money grubbing bastards decided to turn off my free cable, and the end result is that I have very little idea what's going on in the world.

I hear that there are riots in Denmark. A sign, I believe, was set on fire. And a couple of people died. All of this has something to do with those cartoons.

Here's what I can't figure out. Are the rioters mad about the institution of free speech as such, or is there some more specific governmental act that they object to? Or, is this one of those feather/broken back type situations?

I ask because while I think that the rioters have any number of legitimate complaints, when it comes down to brass tacks I'm going to choose expressive freedom over cultural sensitivity.

Anyway, to legitimize this as a blog post, here's something dumb:
Christ is fair game, isn’t he? Unbelievers, liberals, and other secularists make fun of him, mock him, scorn him, and curse him, yet they steer clear of doing the same with Muslims’ god. They know offended Muslims, unlike offended Christians, issue death threats.

Crash and burn, Islamofascists! It’s in your nature. Killing is all you know how to do. You are gutless and psychotic. A religion of peace, indeed. |La Shawn Barber|

Might I suggest that Christians don't pour out into the streets and riot because the streets are, you know, theirs? A religion of the meek, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker