7/10/06

The Word Cup is over


And it was a good one. Each time I chose a team to support, that team was promptly eliminated from the tournament, but all in all, it was still a great Wold Cup. Some final thoughts:

Mexico: I had a lot of ill will towards the Mexican national team from years past, but they did a good job and played relatively clean soccer. By the round of 16, I was rooting for them. Of course, then they promptly lost.

Germany: They are going to be really good in the Euro Cup and the next World Cup. They promptly lost after I chose to root for them in the semis.

Zidane! I am intensely curious about what could have provoked him into that crazy headbut. If anybody hears any explanation, even crazy-ass rumors, please let me know. UPDATE: Yglesias has a good video of the headbut and it's run up.

(Thanks to Mr. E. S. Pony for the animated gif--I don't know where he got it).

No comments:

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker