10/4/06

apologies

A few days ago I posted something about the Foley scandal just as it was breaking. At the time I didn't realize that the story was going to take over American political discourse. If I had, I would have passed on it.

I mean, Foley seems like a slimeball to me, but I'd really rather be reading about the NIE, habeas corpus, and the fucking NLRB.

Addendum: One of the many things that bothers me about the Foley business is that Democratic exploitation of the scandal seems to require playing to the latent homophobia of the Republican base. Which I mention by way of saying that Jane Galt is exactly right about this:
...I wish people would stop referring to his behaviour as pedophilia. The pages are in their teens. Many heterosexual men are attracted to hot teenage girls, and no one thinks of them as pedophiles. His behaviour is reprehensible because grown men in positions of authority should not hit on teenagers. But it is not the same thing as molesting an eight-year-old, and if he were heterosexual, people would recognize that. |Jane Galt|

No comments:

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker