2/4/09

Tom Daschle is not going to eat your children


For the sake of argument, let's imagine that Hyper-Evolved Giant Octopi (HEGOs) emerge from the ocean to live amongst us. And one opens an auto-repair shop down the street.

Now, you might not feel comfortable taking your car to that shop, because you just don't know that much about HEGOs. You can't really prove that an octopus wouldn't do a great job, but you wonder...

Will they understand how important this car is to you? Will they share your priorities about what needs fixing? Will their different perception of the world lead them to focus on emissions while perhaps causing them to miss the fact that your brakes are about to go?

That's pretty much how I feel about Tom Daschle. I can't really prove that he wouldn't do a great job fixing our health-care system, but he's divorced enough from what I consider ordinary life that I wonder... is he going to really be focusing on what matters?

This is completely unfair, I know. But I'm also with Lex Dexter: We've got bigger fish to fry, and I'm glad Obama didn't spend a bunch of political capital trying to keep that nomination alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker