1/18/07

You get a few words alone in a room and with plenty of time on your hands and you can do almost your will on them

Would you believe that before writing that last entry I had never encountered a mention of the frequentative case? Would you go for noticed?

The first sentence of the Wikipedia entry tells you everything you need to know. "In grammar, a frequentative form of a word is one which indicates repeated action." Neat. So a repeated creak becomes a crackle. Also neat.

Would you believe that until I checked out the 'frequentative' article in the Wikipedia I had never heard of the Wiktionary? Would you go for Mark Dilley mentioned it to me but I never got around to checking it out?

Well, I can tell you this for real and for true. The Wictionary is at least as cool as the frequentative case.

----------
NB The title for this post is part of a fragment culled from one of Robert Frost's notebooks. I cribbed it from Harper's. It was on the same page as the Nabokov poem that had the word 'crepitate'. The other cool word in that poem was 'incarnadine', an adjective which means of the blood red color of raw flesh. The first sentence of the poem, comprising three lines, reads, "I found a lengthy word with a non-Russian ending, / unwittingly, inside a children's storybook, / and turned away from it with a strange kind of shudder."

No comments:

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker