3/13/06

Corrupting Young Minds?


In discussing when it is appropriate to use profanity in class, the Axis of Evel Knievel draws the line at religous blasphemy.


[W]hile I carry no water for anyone with strong religious beliefs, I acknowledge the historical significance of religion and devote a lot of time in my classes to its social and political dimensions over the past few centuries. For that reason -- and because we have a lot of students (mostly Christian) who haven't yet been demoralized by the random, cavernous void that comprises human existence -- I avoid statements that will be interpreted as overly blasphemous (e.g., "Jesus Christ on a popsicle stick, World War I was a depraved waste of life"), or insulting to anyone's strange metaphysical beliefs (e.g., "[insert religious denomination here] are fucking crazy.")|Axis of Evel Knievel|


Since the assembled Bellmen have taught far more classes than I have, when do you think it's appropriate to swear in class?

No comments:

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker