4/16/06

And statistics

Yes, yes, I'm sure that there's a lot to be learned from this article, but what jumped out at me was some information contained in the accompanying graphic.

According to the graphic, the majority of America's white evangelicals are traditionalists, which is to say that they have "orthodox beliefs" and display "little interest in adapting" those beliefs in response to modernity. This group is fairly large, comprising 12.6 of the population.

Here's what got me. Seventy percent of traditionalists are Republicans, whereas seventy-seven percent believe that, "the world will end in a battle at Armageddon between Jesus and the Antichrist."

So among the Republican Party's core consituency, apocalyptic eschatology is viewed as moderately more plausible than is the party's political platform. I don't think I have the blogiterary chops to convey how hilarious I think that is, but I pretty much fell out of my chair when I came across it in the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker