4/9/06

Speaking of the new war

Another passage from Hersch's article has me confused.
A senior Pentagon adviser on the war on terror expressed a similar view. “This White House believes that the only way to solve the problem is to change the power structure in Iran, and that means war,” he said. The danger, he said, was that “it also reinforces the belief inside Iran that the only way to defend the country is to have a nuclear capability.” A military conflict that destabilized the region could also increase the risk of terror: “Hezbollah comes into play,” the adviser said, referring to the terror group that is considered one of the world’s most successful, and which is now a Lebanese political party with strong ties to Iran. “And here comes Al Qaeda.”

The link between Hezbollah and Iran I get, but last I checked, fundamentalists Sunnis comprised Al Qaeda, Iran was a Shiite theocracy, and fundamentalist Sunnis viewed Shiites as irredeemable heretics. Now, I'm no expert on this mess, so maybe I'm wrong to think that this particluar senior Pentagon advisor on the war on terror is strikingly uninformed about one of the basic divisions within Islam, but if I am then I'd sure appreciate it if some helpful commenter would set me up with some knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker