9/7/08

All is flux, nothing stays still

I think this is the first time I've lived in a battleground state during a general election. It's something else. This ad is in heavy, heavy, heavy rotation here in Michigan:



I get the feeling that the Obama campaign wants to frame McCain as being the same as Bush, but I could be wrong. What's interesting about the ad, though, is the sophistication and tone. It's not exactly postmodern, but it expects viewers to be more than passive signal receptors. Meanwhile, McCain seems not to be running any ads statewide, but the Republican National Committee has been running a version of the celebrity ad for at least the last two weeks.

Incidentally, a lot of the ads that I see, especially the Obama ads, I see once or twice and can never find on the internet. Which is interesting because my naive expectation was that the Obama campaign would keep a well-organized comprensive online archive of their ads, but they appear not to be doing so. Or, if they are doing so, they sure aren't going out of their way to make the archive easy to find. Could be an oversight, but I suspect that this a way of narrowcasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker