9/16/08

For Example

dr: Do you like football? Yes? What team do you root for?

sp: Go Blue!

dr: Did you root for the Wolverines before you came to school here?

sp: Not really.

dr: Why do you root for them now?

sp: Well, everybody does. I mean, they're the school team. You're always hearing about them on the radio and tv.

dr: Did anyone force you to root for them?

sp: No...

dr: So, since you said earlier that all unforced choices are free choices, then you'd agree that you made a free choice to root for Michigan.

sp: Yes.

dr: And yet it would have been very difficult to make a different choice. You are constrained by the social and media environment around you. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

sp: I don't see why you say it would be hard to make a different choice. I could root for any team I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker