9/2/08

Too much fun with Palin

In the comments, Wobs writes:
I want to make hay over her daughters pregnancy. Palin is a proponent of abstinence only sex ed as the panacea for teenage pregnancy. May I introduce to you exhibit A in evidence of its bankruptcy.

I understand the desire to go there.

But every time we get to this point in a big election, there is a tension between what will make the best short term political attack, and what makes the best long term argument. I think this falls into the latter category because I just don't think that many people are going to rethink their stance on sex-ed in the next 60 days because of Palin's story.

In terms of winning the election, Palin's story is, I think, a deceptively helpful battle for the Republicans. The economy and the war are going to lose McCain the election, if we can keep the focus on that. If the election becomes about social issues... well, we'll probably still win, but I think it will be a lot closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker